Archive for October 25th, 2018

October 25, 2018

Welcome back ,Camaret-sur-Mer!

And get us closer to the ocean and the cliff at the point of Finistére dept 29 in my Brittany. This was an adventure to find the confines of Brittany on the road warrior that we are.

So welcome back to Camaret-sur-Mer, an idyllic place worth to live there after retirement and just do nothing but admire the natural beauty of the place; away from it all in peace. Poetic thoughts but endurables. This is a long post, sorry, I think is worth it.

A bit of description of the place.

Camaret-sur-Mer is located 80 km from Brest and 65 km from Quimper and is located in the far west of the peninsula of Crozon. It is 169 km from my house! Surrounded by the Atlantic Ocean, more precisely the sea of Iroise, at the entrance to the gully of Brest. Camaret, half of which is made up of protected natural areas, is part of the regional Natural Park of Armorique and is now located in the heart of the marine Nature Park of Iroise. It’s a quiet seaside resort.

The coastline is very curvy, we have in the northeast, the Bay of Camaret with the advance of the pointe Sainte-Barbe follows the peninsula of Roscanvel; to the west, the tip of the Grand Gouin beyond the Corréjou beach; Further west again, beyond the beach of Porzh Naye, the tip of the Toulinguet; To the southwest, the cove of Pen Hat extended by the Pointe de Pen-Hir and the Tas des Pois, then by the beach of Veryac’h; To the south, the Pointe de la Tavelle and the Pointe de Portzen extended by the Anse de Dinan, which empties into the Kerloc’h Brook which separates the town of Camaret from that of Crozon. Further south, but located in the territory of the town of Crozon are the Pointe de Dinan and the Cap de la Chévre(goat).

Advancing towards the Pointe de Pen-Hir and the Tas des Pois, we encounter a succession of cliffs all as impressive as each other by their huge chunks of rocks that fall in peak into the ocean. When one arrives at the imposing promontory supporting the immense Cross of Lorraine in blue granite, inaugurated by General de Gaulle  in 1951, the scenery is grandiose. A natural cliff-side platform, called the Salle Verte (green room), is covered with marine turf. But you have to be very careful because the inclined and fast plane that drives it is very dangerous. Below is the beach of Véryac’h, which means limestone or maerl sand beach. It draws a semi-circle that ends right by the Tas des Pois and left by a succession of cliffs with brown and yellow tones.

camaret

You have several beaches such as Corréjou Beach, Pen-Hat beach, Veryac’h Beach, Lam Saoz Beach, Kerloc’h Beach, Trez-Rouz beach, Notinau Beach (very nice). On the West Coast, you have several nice points or lookouts such as the pointe du Grand Gouin, pointe du Toulinguet, pointe de Pen-Hir, pointe de la Tavelle, and pointe de Portzen. On the West Coast you have pointe Sainte-Barbe, and pointe du Pouldu. These points delimit the bottoms in softer rocks such as the Anse de Porzh Naye and Anse de Pen Hat in the phyllite of Dournanez in the heart of the Mort Anglaise (English-death)  anticline of -the Toulinguet (affected by the slip of the Kerforne fault), and  Anse de Camaret in the schist.

A bit of history I like

For Camaret, the Roman surveillance camp was located at the site of the present village of Kerloc’h, between the marshes of Crozon and the Pointe de Dinan. Then it was the fall of the Roman Empire and the freedoms found. The Armorique, delineated geographically by the Atlantic Ocean and the monts d’Arrée, incorporates a new political system and takes the name of Cornouaille.  The young Lord Riok, Crown Prince of the Elorn, converted to the new Christian faith. The history of Camaret is linked to the legend of Saint Riok. In the 4C, an authentic Saint lived in Camaret as a hermit, removed in one of the many caves of the Pointe du Toulinguet. He was the patron of the Church of Camaret, but his name never appeared on the list of Roman canonization. After the Council of Trent, he had to officially give up his place to a recognized Saint: Saint Rémy. On the death of his mother, Riok leaves the Leon region , and comes to the end of the world to seek refuge in a cave. He lived a few years in this religious monastery. Since his death, God has done so many miracles to his tomb that Saint Budoc, third Archbishop of Dol, Metropolitan of Armorique Brittany by having been duly informed, declared him Holy, about the year 633AD.

One of Camaret’s main activities at that time was the flour milling. There were different kinds of windmills: windmills and water mills. In the 12C there are two types of mills: Water mills and windmills at tides. They were often associated with a fishery. Camaret develops both as a fishing and trading port, but also, at the end of the Middle Ages, serves as a port of call for coasters of the French coastline and for the long hauls that rise from Spain and Portugal.

Vauban took care of the defence of the Anse de Camaret, which commands the entrance to the gully of Brest, having the Vauban tower built on the furrows of Camaret, and batteries in the vicinity at the Grand Gouin, at Pointe Sainte-Barbe ( renamed  Mort Anglaise or English death thereafter), at the tip of the Toulinguet, in Kerbonn and all along the Roscanvel Peninsula.

During the Hundred Years ‘ War, which brought England and France to battles in the 13-14C, an English squadron came to the port of Camaret for a truce, the Duchess Jeanne de Navarre, widow of the Duke of Brittany, Jean IV de Montfort. On January 13, 1403, she embarked for England to marry King Henry IV of Lancaster, and thus became sovereign of the United Kingdom. The Bretons and the court of France saw a betrayal there. In 1404, an English fleet attempted to attack Camaret on the beach of Trez-Rouz. The Camarétois, with their leader Olivier de Clisson, second constable of France, and more than 700 soldiers, engaged the fight. The enemy would have prevail, when the young Duke of Brittany, Jean V, then 15 years of age, appeared accompanied by 2 500 soldiers. The British were repelled to the sea and Camaret as well as Brittany were saved. In 1434, a new landing was attempted by the British fleet. The third constable of France, the Earl of Richemont (son of Jean IV de Montfort and of Jeanne de Navarre), who later became Duke Artur III of Brittany fought the assailant with his army of knights, supported by the local people. Once again, Brittany was saved thanks to Camaret.

In the midst of the war of the League of Augsburg, Vauban took care to arrange the defence of the Anse de Camaret which commands the entrance to the gully of Brest, by arranging according to his plans, in addition to the Vauban tower on the furrows of Camaret, batteries in the vicinity at Grand Gouin, at Pointe Sainte-Barbe , at the tip of the Toulinguet, in Kerbonn and all along the Roscanvel Peninsula.  It effectively repels the British and Dutch landing attempt at the Battle of Trez-Rouz. Since that date, the cliffs to the east of the furrows are called “the English death” or Mort Anglaise ,and the surrounding dunes were turned into a cemetery to bury the dead English and Dutch sailors.

In August 1801, American engineer Robert Fulton experimented with his propeller submarine, the Nautilus, in Camaret Bay to convince Napoleon Bonaparte of the future of underwater navigation. The Nautilus tried to place a mine on an English ship, then in the Camaret Harbor. The test might have been conclusive, if the frigate had accidentally sailed at the time the submarine was slowly approaching the vessel!

Camaret was, like other fishing ports of the Atlantic coast, from the 17C to the 19C a sardine port. The sardine fishery was at the heart of the economic life of the town of Camaret until the great Crisis of 1903-1904. The port of Camaret, located at the front of the gully of Brest , was also a release port and shelter for other town’s fishermen or commercial boats. In 1898, we discovered the plateau of Rochebonne, off the Vendée. The Camarétois sailors embark on the adventure by creating a new type of boat capable of facing the more difficult seas. This will be the birth of the bridged sloops, built especially in the Kéraudren shipyards. In 1960, Camaret went on the  yearly call of Mauritanian with  considerable catches; it is then the first European port for lobster fishing. Starting from 1963, the lobster fishery begins along the Brazilian coast, resulting in a diplomatic crisis between France and Brazil (the “War of the Lobster”),which caused the extention of its territorial waters to 200 nautical miles to protect its fishermen. At the end of the 1960’s, lobster fishing began a slow decline, due in particular to the various fishing bans in their exclusive economic zones decided by the governments having authority (Morocco, Mauritania), and then collapsed completely by the end of the 1980’s. The peninsula of Crozon has been, from the 19C to the middle of the 20C, the region of the know-how of shipbuilding. From these shipyards, it came out of magnificent boats, some of which still continue fishing, and others, rebuilt in the same way, roam the maritime festivals. Since 1867, Camaret has a lifeguard boat rescue station from the SNSM (=société nationale de sauvetage en mer) or National Marine Rescue Company. Three marinas have been set up such as Styvel, Notic, and Vauban, all with 750 places of which 450 places afloat on pontoons.

Starting in the decade of the 1880’s, Camaret gradually became a popular resort for a number of Parisian intellectuals and artists during the summer season, most of them frequenting the two hotels of the port, the Hotel de la Marine, held by Nathalie Dorso, and the Hotel de France. Eugene Boudin was the first of them, soon followed by Charles Cottt, Gustave Toudouze, André Antoine (founder of the Théâtre Antoine, then director of the Odeon Theatre, who stayed for a time in the Vauban Tower), Maxime Maufra, Henri Rivière, Laurent Tailhade (from 1901), Saint-Pol-Roux, etc. Some even eventually built a house in front of the beach of Pen-Had like Saint-Pol-Roux (Le Manoir de Cœcilian) and Andre Antoine.

At the end of 1916, in order to combat German submarines, a seaplane base was installed in Camaret near the lifeguard boat place. The Poyer  entered service in January 5, 1917, the first seaplanes coming from the La Pallice, depending on the Brest aerospace Center, which also includes a base of airship located in Guipavas and a base of Captive balloons located in Brest-Laninon. This seaplane base was very active, with its 32 seaplane showing in 21 fights against German submarines. The monument to the dead of Camaret bears the names of 106 soldiers who died for France during WWI.  The Nazis built numerous blockhouses along the  coastline, within the framework of the Atlantic Wall, the most important being the Kerbonn battery located between the tip of Pen-Hir and the tip of the Toulinguet, now transformed into The Battle of the Atlantic Memorial Museum, but also at the tip of the Grand Gouin. 72 people from Camaret-sur-Mer died for France during WWII according to the list that carries the Monument to the Fallen located in the communal cemetery.

Things to see are many and even in two trips to the area we have not seen them all, will tell you about it.

The Vauban tower ( a must yes) on the harbor of Camaret has a coastal defence tower with a low battery built on a master plan of Vauban. It is locally named the Vauban Tower. Vauban named it the Golden Tower. This polygonal tower is defensively reduced with a ditch, a drawbridge and a perimeter wall. Projected from 1683, the tower is drawn in 1689 by Vauban. The construction starts in 1693 and ends in 1696.

camaret

Kerbonn’s battery, (a must yes) the site of Kerbonn lies between the tip of Penhir and the tip of the Toulinguet. It is part of the defence system of the gully of Brest. The first military fortifications on the site of Kerbonn are dated 1889-1891. The fort of Kerbonn is a coastal battery , whose role was to fight the ships in the Bay of Brest. Between 1942 and 1944, the Nazis built bunkers on the site. It consists mainly of 4 fire bunkers for canon of 164 mm French, 6 passive shelters, 1 firing station and 3 tanks for defence gun against Aircraft (DCA).  One of the Nazi bunkers is now home to the Battle of the Atlantic Memorial.

camaret

Toulinguet’s battery (to be seen) on the tip of the Toulinguet is located a second category semaphore lighthouse for the National Navy. The Grand Gouin battery is the most important coastal defence of the Crozon Peninsula. It consisted of four 220-mm batteries, each with four bunkers, as well as a fire tracker and several pieces against aircraft.

The monument to the Bretons of free France, (yes a must) known as the Pen-Hir cross, is a memorial to the Bretons of free France, inaugurated on July 15, 1951 by General de Gaulle. On the back of the cross is an inscription in Breton:  “Kentoc’h mervel eget em zaotra”, meaning  sort of rather death than staining, a motto of Brittany. On the west face of the Cross of Pen-Hir, at its foot, we also find the inscription  “Free man, always you’ll cherish the sea  ” by Charles Baudelaire.

camaret

The megalithic alignment of Lagatjar  (nice to see) no longer include only 65 menhirs. We will have to wait 1928 for the Lagatjar alignment to be restored. The alignment of Lagatjar is made up of three rows of menhirs. The set draws a line oriented N -E and S-W, from where, at right angles, two parallel lines are left. This orientation suggests an astronomical character. The Lighthouse of Toulinguet on the Pointe de Toulinguet is located.

camaret

In 1903, Saint-Pol-Roux buys a fishing house overlooking the beach of Pen-Had and transforms it into an exotic manor with eight turrets, the Manoir de Boultous. On the death of his son Coecilian (killed near Verdun) in 1914, he renamed it “Manoir de Coecilian” (to be seen). During the inter-war period, he received many writers and artists.  In June 1940, the manor was invested by Nazi soldiers, his daughter Divine was raped and the mansion delivered to the looting and burned down. In August 1944, the manor was bombarded by Allied aviation. There are now only ruins.

The port of Camaret (yes nice to walk around) along the sea to reach the furrow, the Quai Toudouze, the main wharf of the port, crosses the center of Camaret. Construction starts in 1842. It has a length of 350 meters and a width of 30 meters and has four cales. In 1895, it is enlarged. At the end of the last, it is the quay of the Styvel with its launch block built after 1926. On the parvis, a cemetery of fishing boats sheltered up to 10  often ceded for a symbolic euro to the town. Many of them have been removed due to their degradation and those who remain have had their hull pierced so that it does not float during high tides of whitewater. Opposite is the marina. In 1963, a new dike was built to house the pontoons reserved for yachting. After having borrowed the furrow that leads to the Vauban tower and the ND Chapel of Rocamadour, you can reach the harbor’s captaincy. We notice the mole with the Green Lighthouse at its end. The construction of the latter began in 1842 to end in 1857.

camaret

The Notre-Dame-de-Rocamadour chapel, (yes a must) located on the furrow, is very nice and a must to visit. Saint-Rémi’s  Church, (yes nice to see) consecrated in 1931, succeeds a smaller church of the 18C. Formerly named because of their form in Breton Pézeaux or pile of hay before being renamed in the middle of the 19C a Tas de Pois, these five rocks  offer an unforgettable panorama of the Pointe de Penhir  (a must to see) on the Sea of Iroise. The Pointe de Penhir is also an ornithological reserve.(yes very much a must and beautiful views of the sea if it can be windy at times).

camaret

camaret

Some webpages to help you plan your trip here in addition always to my previous posts on these wodnerful places are

City of Camaret-sur-Mer on heritage

Tourist office of Camaret-sur-Mer

Tourist office of Brittany on Camaret sur Mer

Tourist office of Finistere dept 29 on port of Camaret

The roads of memory site on concentration on Vauban fortifications in Camaret: Roads of Memory on Camaret sur Mer and Vauban

You are now loaded for an invasion of Camaret sur Mer in the Finistére Breton; great area full of life and the sea ,good for the soul anytime.

And remember, happy travels, good health, and many cheers to all!!!

 

 

 

 

 

October 25, 2018

The beautiful harbor city of Douarnenez!

Moving right along the coast of upper or north Brittany we came to this wonderful town not expecting much got a lot out of it. We are enjoying great weather in Brittany! Here is my update post on Douarnenez.

Douarnenez is in the Finistère department 29 in Bretagne/Brittany. It still retains the reputation of a large sardine port, although the vagaries of sardines, over time, have resulted in a diversification of once-seasonal fisheries as well as in other economic sectors. It is also an important marina of Finistère with Tréboul and Port-Rhu. This is the city in which the Kouign-Amann Breton dessert was invented. The town was enlarged in 1945 by merging with the neighboring towns of Ploaré, Pouldavid and Tréboul, and is now known as the city of the three ports (Port-Rhu, Port of Rosmeur, and Port de Plaisance).

Douarnenez is located 600 km west of Paris, 250 km north-west of Nantes and 25 km north-west of Quimper, at the bottom of the Bay of Douarnenez, and is part historically of the Cornouaille. Tristan Island, which is located about 50 meters from the coast, is accessible on foot, during low tides with a strong coefficient. There is a mansion, a lighthouse and a fort. Tristan Island now belongs to the Conservatory of the coast.

N 165   Nantes to Brest expressway partially 4 lanes between Quimper and Douarnenez. The D 7 connects Douarnenez to Châteaulin. There is no train station.  It is at 121 km from my house.

The city, nestled at the bottom of a harmoniously curved bay, deploys its colorful and picturesque facades that have attracted many artists such as Auguste Renoir, Eugène Boudin, Maurice Boitel, Emmanuel Lansyer, and Roberto Cedrón…etc.

The name of Douarnenez  would come from the Breton expression Douar an girl up (the land of the island) as the site dependent on Tristan Island. The name Douarnenectz appears for the first time in 1505 it is necessary to wait to 1118 to find a name on the island. It was on this date that the bishop of Cornouaille, Robert de Locuon donated in 1121 to the monks of the Abbey Tourangelle de Marmoutier of his small island of Saint Tristan.

At the time of the Wars of the League (1576-1598), the Bandit Guy Éder de la Fontenelle took advantage of the situation to brigand Brittany and more particularly the Cornouaille and the region of Douarnenez. Tristan Island was his base. The consensus of putting at the end of the wars of religion sees him even being given the governance of the island. Finally convinced of guilty of providing intelligence to the Spaniards and without forgetting the memory of its massacres, he was severely beaten to death in September 1602.

Dom Michel Le Nobletz lived in Douarnenez from 1617 to 1639, in a house close to the present St. Michael’s Chapel, built between 1663 and 1665 under the influence of the preacher Julien Maunoir . The 64 paintings adorning the ceiling of the chapel were painted between 1667 and 1675 (and completed in 1692): They represent scenes of the Passion of Christ, of the Life of the Virgin, of the Evangelists and of the Doctors of the Church, and are occasions of the taolennoù (teaching of Christian values by figures andn portraits) by Michel Le Nobletz

It was only in 1790 that Douarnenez became an independent municipality (70 ha only), to the detriment of Ploaré, which it had hitherto depended on, and even the capital of the county. Douarnenez, a former truce of Ploaré, became a religious branch of Ploaré and became an independent parish in 1875.

The rise of the sardine fishery continued in the first half of the 19C and by 1860, Douarnenez had fished 300 million sardines, half of which is cooked in oil in the “Fried Foods” style before being put into cans still in good part pressed, with the exception of those that are sold fresh. In 1900, Douarnenez was the first French coastal fishing port.

Douarnenez, as well as Camaret-sur-Mer, specializes in lobster fishing: In 1960, Douarnenez had about thirty yearly call ships (it was then the 2nd French port of lobster fishing behind Camaret-sur-Mer), Mostly built in the two aforementioned ports; The fishermen were going to fish the lobster (the green lobster and the pink lobster) off the coast of Mauritania and were for this reason referred to as “Mauritanians”: they were wooden vessels 26 to 35 m long and 8 m wide that were between 250 and 350 tonnes of gross tonnage and generally had a crew of 13 men, with vessels averaging out for three months. In 2011 this made Douarnenez the 3rd French port by the tonnage of fish landed that year behind Boulogne-sur-Mer and Lorient.

In 2015, only two industrial canneries survived in the city of Penn Sardin: Cannery Paulet, which sells its products under the brand name Petit Naviere and which is located in the industrial zone of Pouldavid and the Cannery Chancerelle (the Maison Chancerelle would be the oldest cannery of sardines in the world still in operation), which has just left its historic factory on the port of Rosmeur to settle in the industrial zone of Lannugat, near the Cobreco, which Chancerelle repurchased in 2013; The Cobreco is the largest French group in the market for the canned scallops and tuna and is the result of the merger of two former canneries of Douarnenez: J. J. and Gourlaouen. An artisanal and family cannery, Kerbriant, also exists in the industrial zone of Lannugat. Currently, there are three industrial plants that have been able to grow, and are canning 70% of the French tuna Paulet (Petit Naviere), Cobreco (with its brands Arok and Jasc, it is the leader of the canned scallops and tuna Made in France) and Chancerelle (Brand Le Connétable)

The fishermen’s village of the Plomarc’h dates from the beginning of the 19C and has houses, with walls of granite stones coated with a whitewash of lime, have a ground in clay and were Initially covered with rye stubble before being slated. All the houses turned their backs to the sea, in order to protect themselves from the north wind. The openings were small and so it was dark at the interior. The village of Plomarc’h, with its penty houses and its breathtaking view of the bay, the port’s longboats, the beaches of the reef and the white sands, attracted many painters throughout the second half of the 19C and 20C; such as Jules Breton, Emmanuel Lansyer, Eugène Boudin, Maxime Maufra, Paul Sérusier, Charles Cottt, Paul Signac, Henri Matisse and many Scandinavian painters; Later, in the course of the 20C, Mathurin Méheut, Pierre de Belay, Maurice le Scouëzec, Émile Simon, Louis-Marie Désiré-Lucas. As well as Poets and writers have also been drawn here, such as José Maria de Heredia, Jean Richepin, Jules Breton, and Max Jacob.

The city has three ports: the Rosmeur, a fishing port with auction, managed by the Chamber of Commerce and Industry of Quimper Cornouaille, inaugurated in 1958 in its present form; Port-Rhu (former Ria de Pouldavid) where the museum port is based, inaugurated in 1992; The marina in Tréboul.. In 1912)  the Douarnenez sailor’s shelter is inaugurated. During WWI it housed a unit of the 151st Infantry Regiment. The shelter closed in 1971, but now houses the publishers of the magazine Chasse-Marée. The monument to the Fallen of Douarnenez, built in 1919, bears the names of 389 soldiers and sailors who died for France during WWI.

douarnenez

At Port Rhu on the quays there is a nice maritime museumMaritime museum of Douarnenez

douarnenez

The victims of   WWII from Douarnenez were numerous. On Friday, August 4, 1944 in the morning, the false news of the liberation of Quimper reaches Douarnenez; Spontaneously many inhabitants began to see their windows in the Allied colors. The FFI of Douarnenez (resistance fighters) take control of the siege of the Nazis customs installed in the premises of the Vallombreuse and barricades are built in Ploaré. Several casualty fights take place in the early afternoon in the vicinity of place Paul-Stéphazn. The Nazis finally left town on August 8, 1944 after detonating their stockpiles of ammunition.

Port-Rhu was the starting point for two boats bound for England: the My gondola as of June 18, 1940, the day of the call of 18 June. Pilot students of the Le Mans Elementary pilotage aviation school, led by Reserve Lieutenant Pinot , embarked on 18 June 1940 aboard the Trébouliste, a lobster boat equipped with an auxiliary engine, led by François Lelguen they arrived in Falmouth on June 20, 1940 and helped to form the first nucleus of the future Free French Air Force (36 of them perished in air fights during WWII.

Things to see

The Port-Rhu, a veritable conservatory of ancient boats, and the Port museum , which illustrates the maritime life of Douarnenez. In 1993, it was inaugurated the Port-Museum of Port-Rhu, but the Port-museum had to close in 1995 due to lack of financial resources because it did not attract enough visitors. The Port-Museum opens again at the beginning of the year 2 000, with a more important budget ,see webpage and photo above. Here is the port Rhu

douarnenez

douarnenez

New halls (the Halles) were built in Douarnenez in 1871 at the site of a previous building that had become too cramped; Built on the floor, they were raised one story at the beginning of the 1930’s decade to set up the festive hall which opened in 1934; It was decorated by six painters who painted frescoes there. The decor of the festive hall of Douarnenez, above the old halls dating from the 19C, was entrusted, on the initiative of the mayor of the time Daniel Le Flanchec, to six painters: Abel Villard, Robert Paulo Villard , Lionel, Jim Sévellec, Gaston Paul, Maurice Le Scouëzec, who made 16 oils on toile, and were completed in 1938

Tristan Island: Accessible on foot at low tide when the tidal coefficients exceed 90, the island is managed by the Coastal conservatory, accessible to the public only on authorization or on certain days of the year and supervised by a guard. Its exotic garden houses 358 different floral species and protected animal species live on the island like the Quimper snail, the tawny owl or several species of bats.

douarnenez

The Plomarc’h, natural and historical site: The Plomarc’h are now a protected site of 16 hectares, acquired by the city of Douarnenez, the Department of Finistère and the Conservatoire du littoral. The town maintains a natural space open to the public, which includes in particular an educational farm that breeds farm animals of the Breton races and cultivates among other things black wheat. Afforestation is made up of the traditional trees of the region (chestnut, beech, oak)..

The Church of St. James  (14-15C): Built on the hillside, the church features a nave with 14C arcades, a 15C porch, and a 16C choir. The vault of the choir is adorned with sixteen 16C painted panels retracing scenes of Passion, but only fragments remain. The church contains several ancient statues, including a Piétà (late 17C) on a stone altar.

The Church of the Sacred Heart  in Gothic style, it was built between 1874 and 1877; However, its arrow was only completed in 1939. Its furniture dates back to the end of the 19C.

douarnenez

The Chapel of St. John at Tréboul dates from the 18C, but with a re-use of a previous building dating from the 15C, especially for the windows. Its high altar in polychrome wood dates back to the 18C. It has ancient statues of polychrome wood of the Immaculate Conception, an angel of the Annunciation, two worshipping Angels, Saint John the Baptist, etc. It served as a parish church between 1841 and 1884. Its stained glass windows, set up between 1986 and 1988. A mutilated Calvary dating from the 17C is located at a nearby crossroads.

douarnenez

The Church of St. Herlé of Ploaré (16-18C): The construction of the church began around 1548 as attested by an inscription once visible at the base of the tower; The spire was built in several stages in the course of the 17C. The whole thing is Gothic Cornish style. But the tower and its arrow were rebuilt several times, probably after partial destruction due to lightning, hence their composite character. The sacristy dates from the 18C.

douarnenez

The Chapelle Saint-Michel is located 50 meters from the Port-Musée and the library; An earlier chapel of the same name is mentioned in 1312, but the present chapel was built between 1663 and 1668 at the site of the house where the preacher Michel le Nobletz had lived; Its baroque-style furnishings, among others a chested column altarpiece, dates back to the 17C. The chapel is best known for the paintings of its panelling which illustrate in 52 panels the taolennoù of Michel Le Nobletz, representing the mysteries, guardian angels, etc.

The Chapel of St. Helena on the Port of Rosmeur dates from the 17C, but was very revamped in the 18C. It comprises a nave of three bays with aisles, a high altar and two side altars with altarpieces dating back to the 18C and numerous statues. Two stained glass windows date from the 16C are probably due to a Spanish artisan

The statue of the Bolomig, at the place Gabriel Péri. This statue, dating from 1860 and overlooking a public fountain, is somewhat the emblem of Douarnenez. Its name originates from Bolomig Tal ar Groas in Breton ( “Little Man of the square of the Cross”, name that was the square at the time). Unbolted in 1932 to make way for parking, it was reinstalled in 1990. This is a copy of the original which is now in the hallway of the City hall of Douarnenez.

Some webpages to help you plan your trip here and one you should are

City of Douarnenez on heritage

Tourist office of Douarnenez

Tourist office of Brittany on Douarnenez

And there you go another wonderful spot in the Finistére of my lovely Brittany the 3rd most visited region of France after Paris and PACA! Enjoy it

And remember as well, happy travels, good health,and many cheers to all!!!

%d bloggers like this: