Archive for May 9th, 2014

May 9, 2014

My Travels in the Morbihan, part XIII

well today was much better, nice sunny weather, and we took off again. We find very difficult to stay home even if in the area we need to go out. We had to do groceries, food shopping, and decided to do on the way back home and take a ride to new areas of my wonderful Morbihan. The tourist office for the department is at

and a tourist site for this particular area in French at Bretagne Arc  Sud here ,

We set out on the N165 towards Nantes, and stop by the D20 at Muzillac, also the D153 will work. Here we went past a wonderful shopping place for potteries, flowers,plants, home decoration just marvelous of the family Bloino. Ets Bloino  (closed) follow it direction Muzillac and then turn left at the second traffic circle. You see it from the road, and we will be back as we are preparting our patio/garden areas;

The place was surrounded by other businesses and we check out many from shoes stores to grocery store to bakeries. right at the Ets Bloino business park. 3 Zone d’Activité du Parc, 56190 Muzillac. It is a pleasant town that impress us very much. We went past the chapelle Saint Antoine de Penesclus just before hitting city center, and the story is that the Chapel along the street of the Penesclus, breton term meaning “the tip of the lock”.  It is written its existance since 1580, but it was moved and rebuilt in 1885 to allow the widening of the route de Vannes to Nantes. The 2 statues of Knights on the facade above the entrance would be Templar and date to the 15C. On the flat chevet of the choir Sainte Apoline and Saint Anthony statues surround the small statue of St. EloiThe modern stained glass of Eric Jégat (end 2003) symbolically recount episodes of the life of Sainte Apoline and Saint Antoine, who lived in Egypt and saved a pig.

We had the opportunity to visit the market or marché day in Muzillac, this is a big market covering all of the city center. Food and clothing are found from 8h to 13H30 Fridays all year long. In summer it can attain 150 merchants! It is at place du Marché, Place Saint Julien, Place du Vieux Couvent, grande rue, and allée Raymond Le Duigou.  The city heritage can be found here in French,

Finally, we were hungry, and on our way out of Muzillac on the road D20 we found this artisan bakery, boulangerie/pâtisserie/chocolatier of Gaël Artisan at 57 Rue Armorique, we had our formule for lunch for 6,90€ includes a delicious big tuna sandwich with baguette, Nutella chocolate delight in a glass, Orangina soda. Very inexpensive and great on the run. In fact we have seen them before in Vannes and they do have an outlet there, great!

We moved on to the town of Ambon,right along on the road D20 , a popular one for those going to the beaches of this area. We past by an old Church still Under renovation, église Saint-Cyr-Sainte-Julitte; it is a very old religious site maybe going back to the 3-4C!, some of the architectural description is to follow; the western façade is typical of Romanesque Breton. On the north side of the church, at the level of the second and third bays of nave, opens a porch from the 15C. Under the porch is located in arc full-handlebar paired access which may have existed as early as Roman  period. The South aisle of the nave retains the trace of primitive period, narrow, arched full-arch, which has been modified subsequently.Inside , the nave, preening, has five spans contacting the aisles by a sequence of arcades full-arches resting on massive square pillars.  In the end of the 14C or during the 15C, thchoir is completely modified. It is, then,  transforms it into flat chevet with two side chapels.  The North Chapel of the choir (Chapel of the Rosary) is enlarged, it bears the date of 1636-37. Ten years later about was built between the North arm of the transept and porch, the chapel of our Lady of mercy. The South aisle of the nave is then remade, it lowers its roof by masking the Romanesque bays of the nave. 1636 in 1649, it also realigns the lower parts of the nave, the façade, the south wall and the Bell Tower. In the 19C a new sacristy is done adjacent to the South Chapel. The city mayor’s office is at

We continue our journe South to the sea taken road D140 to Damgan, here we drove along narrow Streets and we stop to see the Church of Notre Dame de Bonne Nouvelle.  It was during the first half of the 16C the construction of the chapel dedicated to Notre Dame de Bonne Nouvelle, patron saint of travellers and sailors, begins. Originally, it had the shape of a barn because it had no steeple and soil was clay. Over the years, the building fell into ruins. It was in 1841 that a text refers to the need to rebuild a church. The chapel was demolished and in June 15, 1843 on the Fête de Dieu is the blessing of the foundation stone of the new Church of Damgan. The Morbihan tourist site has some on it, as well,not the town;

Going all the way to the beach area of Penerf; we hit the beach, and port of it. This is a pebbles beach but long and nice promenade pedestrian all around it , free parking just across. You have the Church of Saint Pierre, right across from the harbor . Its construction dates back to the 17C , first mentioned in 1580, and probably replaces an older church. The place was already inhabited since long and formed an own entity. It is extended by the addition of a chapel dedicated to the Virgin and revamped belfry. The North and South wings are added in 1853 and 1848 then the Church was restored in the 19C . Simple rectangular building, its Western gable served chalk as building material  in the 15C  and 16C.  During the creation of the parish of Damgan in 1820, before being common in 1824, heavily populated Pénerf strives to become parish. The Chapelle St Pierre was erected as a branch without ceasing to belong to the parish of Damgan, August 2, 1843.

There is a bureau du port or harbormaster, with boat ramp and old canon guarding as souvenir of 1759 when two ships fought and came ashore here.And a wonderful part to do foot fishing in low tides and go for the cultivation of oysters, panels tell you to behave. Way at the end on a dusty sand trail that I dare to go to take a closer look at the Tour des Anglais or English tower of historical significance, here is my findings on it. The Fire Tower built between 1442 and 1450, (ancestors of light houses), it’s  is the oldest “fire Tower” standing in its original architecture on the French Atlantic coast! The Tour was both Watchtower and beacon: she pointed out the entrance to the Pénerf River and allowed to watch the arrival of enemy privateers: boats of Jersey, Spain and England. A brief description is as follows , it is a cylindrical tower 15 meters high, built in coated rubble, on a pan base approximately 8.20 meters in diameter at the base and 1.70 meter in height, consisting of paired, restored and joined stones in 1978 protected by a built in grand Chase, a trunk of 3.80meters  high cone base and a top three levels 9.20 meters high. One meter thick walls are built in ‘stone of the coast’ with the exception of the two deadly round of granite Ashlar. A high parapet of  1 meter supported by Corbels granite based machicolations in console. The Tower, situated about 100 meters  from the banks, is one of the few remains of the defence of the coasts of the region. Worth a detour. Damgan, mayor’s office with some historical sights is in French here,

Done our round as said, we came back to do our groceries right in Muzillac ,and get it over with in one shot.Now relax for the rest of today and tomorrow as Sunday is travel day to Barcelona,Spain. Cheers and have a great weekend.

Tags: ,
%d bloggers like this: